View previous topicGo downView next topic
J. Riley Corrigan
Admin

The Fellowship of the Book Bible Study - 1st Samuel & Maybe 2nd Also, but I Forget.

on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:56 am
This thread is intended for use by Ben, Kevin, Malachi and Riley as a supplement to our bible study through Samuel. Unless I am given objection, this thread will be open for other users to view, but only the specified members will be able to participate.
Cayden

Re: The Fellowship of the Book Bible Study - 1st Samuel & Maybe 2nd Also, but I Forget.

on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:41 pm
Sounds good. We have much to cover about the life of David and Samuel.
J. Riley Corrigan
Admin

Re: The Fellowship of the Book Bible Study - 1st Samuel & Maybe 2nd Also, but I Forget.

on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 pm
I went over the material and came up with some topics I would like to zoom in on when we get together. I went through the first two chapters since we didn't really establish a focus for this week. We can either work on both or just start from the beginning and see where we end up. If you guys have any questions or topics jotted down please post them here as well so we don't forget to take a look at them, or how they relate to one another.

1:11 Hannah makes a vow, offering that if Yahweh gives her a son she will give him to Yahweh's service. Does this seem like an attempt to coerce Yahweh or do you think this represents a different attitude such as petition?

1:24-25 They slaughter one bull, so what were the other two bulls, the flour and the wine?

2:1-11 Hannah's song. Who are her enemies and what does she mean by grinning over them?

2:10 Who is the king mentioned here?

2:12 What wording does your copy of the bible or your commentary use to describe Eli's sons, and what implications does this have? Any NT themes here?

Look forward to seeing you guys Thursday!
J. Riley Corrigan
Admin

on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:18 pm
Ok, here are all my notes from chapter 1 and 2...

Ch1 v24-25
3 bulls, flour and wine were taken up, but only one bull was slaughtered. Was the remainder a gift for the priesthood so they would accept Samuel?

Ch2 v1-11
Hannah says she grins over her enemies. Given the context provided, who is her enemy? Was her problem (other than her husband's polygamy. Of note here rival wife in v6 צָרָה or sarot, can mean concubine, second wife and also enmity. This indicates that the ordering in v2 is an intentional depiction of the order of the wives. It could be that Elkanah married her specifically to bear children because Hannah could not. This is obviously not the only reason but it serves the theme of Peninnah of being able to more easily provoke Hannah.) that she was barren? The language discourages this conclusion as it was Yahweh who made her so. Her conflict seems to be with her fellow wife who taunted her. She is able to smile in the face of taunting, essentially this could be one of two things as well. She could be proud and gloating that the subject of her taunting has been resolved, however the context indicates that is not the case as she continues with a call to humility. The attitude described is more one of perseverance and joy in that the Lord who is not judged (v3) actively cares for those who love Him. Some bitterness could be assumed from the second half of verse 5, although it could be argued that this was simply added as a component of the complete poetic list in order to demonstrate that Yahweh commands all things and can enforce improbable outcomes both for better and for worse.

Ch 2 v10, 30, 35 and Luke 1:46-56
Who is "his king"? This takes place before Israel had a king. This could support the "two Yahwehs" concept of plurality in the nature of God, where in new testament terms, Jesus ruling the nation while the Father supports Jesus as his appointed ruler. The term here מַלְכּ֔ or melek could refer to an anointed ruler, and later was used to describe a more messianic connotation. Hannah may have written this song including a prophecy of the coming monarchy, fulfilled in duality by Christ.
Support to consider this a messianic connotation comes later in the chapter. in verse 30, Yahweh references that Eli's house would walk before him (but no longer). in verse 35, he continues to say he will raise up a pries to walk before His anointed one forever, the word being used is מְשִׁיחִ֖ meaning messiah/anointed one. This could allude to the king again, FSB pushes this also.
Alternatively this could be evidence that this vow was not recorded at the time of it's utterance and what we have in the text is a summary of Hannah's vow in poetic form, recorded at the same time as the rest of the book, possibly having been composed earlier than the rest of the book. JFB points out similarity between this vow and the song of Mary from Luke 1:46.

Ch2 v12-17
v1 reference, literally they were "sons of Belial" in second temple and pseudepigraphal literature as well as once in the new testament Belial is used as a personal name for Satan, which is consistent with the belief that those who do not serve Yahweh are understood to serve lesser things or entities. This term is very strong language and the association to the adversary of Yahweh according to the understanding of the second temple writers might lead me to believe that the sons of Eli were not simply selfish but actually perverted the temple practices with the intent of opposing Yahweh. It says specifically they held His sacrifice in contempt, but I suggest this could be due to their contempt extended to Yahweh, for they clearly did not love his law. Further study should examine what they could be denying the people making this sacrifice by profaning the ritual. NT references to sons of the devil are Acts 13:10, Matthew 13:38, John 6:70, John 8:44 and 1 John 3:10.

Ch2 v15, Leviticus 7:25
Eating the fat that was meant for the offering as Eli's sons did is punishable by being cast out from the society according to the law in Leviticus. This builds a case for suspicion as to whether the Law was applied and followed in this time period.

Ch2 v21, ch1 v11
Hannah fulfilled her end of the vow, and Yahweh paid her back many times over for the son she dedicated to his service. According the the FSB, she is the only woman to have made and kept a Vow with Yahweh. Is this a petition or an attempt at coercion? To me it seems like a petition which includes a statement of dedication to Yahweh.

Ch2 v25
Why did Yahweh prefer to kill Eli's sons rather than have them heed their father? Perhaps they did not take him seriously, and perhaps Yahweh needed them to be removed so the temple could be made holy again.

Ch 2 v27-36
Eli is identified as being culpable for the offenses of his sons by allowing them to hold their station, so then it is prophesied that not only will the sons die but the whole house will be cursed.

Ch2 v30 Leviticus 7:25
A reminder that God's Covenants and promises are often conditional on the recipient's allegiance. If they give Yahweh lordship over themselves then the promises stand, forgiving and correcting transgressions. Those who reject Yahweh's authority remove themselves from the promises and protections. Even in our new covenant (going to go a little Armenian here) we must make Yahweh, Jesus our lord for it to be valid. We put ourselves in danger when we sin, but we exclude ourselves from covenant when we despise Yahweh and turn to idolatry. Note His love is not called into question, he does not despise who despise Him, rather Yahweh treats them with contempt. Unlike Eli to his sons, Yahweh will not tolerate such an attitude against his authority and will exercise his authority to demonstrate that. In this way, Eli's love for his sons is either flawed or vacant because he will not subject them to the consequences of their actions, which are being cut off from the people among other things Le 7:25.

Ch 2 v36
The Levites are not assigned any land so the temple service is their intended means of survival.
J. Riley Corrigan
Admin

on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 am
Notes on chapter 3 and 4

Chapter 3
God calls out to Samuel, but although he serves God, he does not recognize the voice John 10:27. As a good servant, he does respond promptly, first to Eli and then to God. This NT passage enforces the idea that Samuel was favored by God for his believing loyalty. He was not just raised to be a priest, but was also serving God, unlike Eli's sons who were given priestly duties but hated God. The wider context of John 10:22-30 fits, the Jews who were raised with the temple and should have had a relationship with God had fallen to corruption in their hearts, teaching and traditions. They observed the rituals but did not serve God when he appeared before them.

Chapter 3 v12-14
A reminder of why the prophecy is not given to Eli, in necessity God raised up the servant to give a message against his master. Septuagint says his sons were cursing God where is says they were bringing curses on themselves. It really seems like God wants Eli out along with his sons.

Chapter 3 v19-21
This enforces the idea that Samuel was a true prophet and that God manifested himself to Samuel physically as the Word. The section about Samuel receiving prophecy against Eli could have been omitted because we were already aware of the decree of judgement in the previous chapter. This seems to be cited as an example to establish that Samuel is candidate for the immediate fulfillment of 1 Samuel 2:35 as well as enforce the idea that Samuel is being placed into prominence by Eli's judgement.

Chapter 4 v3 & 11
Hophni and Phineas were most likely killed because they were attending to the ark, which would have been disgusting for God to have rebels handling the symbol of his covenant.. This strengthens the idea that the ark was not brought forth for the glory of God, but rather as an attempt to provoke God. See also JFB commentary for 1 Samuel 4:3.

Chapter 4 v3
The elders say "so that it" rather than God would deliver them. They seem to be trying to hide behind the ark rather than relying on God, expecting that he will protect his ark by preventing the Philistines from defeating them. They seem to have taken on the same understanding of the ark as the Philistines who believe that the presence of the ark implies the presence of God, and the gods, or as I see it the spiritual forces of God (הָאֱלֹהִ֥ים ha-elohim) who hold great power and are known for defeating the gods of other nations, ie Egypt.

Chapter 4 v 9
It would seem that the Philistines expected to be defeated, so they charged into battle boldly so that they would die rather than be slaves. FSB doffers a different story, suggesting the Philistines had mistakenly believed the Israelites had a polytheistic system and that their gods had the same chance of bringing victory as did Israel's.

Chapter 4 v 18
Enforces the theme of Eli caring nothing for his sons, demonstrating an archetype of a distant uncaring father whose children face no discipline in rebellion and defile whatever the father held dear. When the sons played a hand in the loss of the ark they killed their father through the shock of the news. FSB relates this to the breaking of the statue of Dagon in 1 Samuel 5:4. The head and hands are broken off of the statue as Eli's head is broken off (neck snapped) and his sons (one for each hand) are cut off.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum