View previous topicGo downView next topic
J. Riley Corrigan
Admin

Inquiry of the Month [DEC 2017]: Nativity Scenes: Heretical Distractions or Useful Symbols?

on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 pm
Given the presupposition that what is depicted in a nativity scene most likely does not represent an actual single event, is it damaging to present the account of Jesus' birth in this way, or is it useful to bring all the common elements together in one scene as a representation of the whole story?
Cayden

Re: Inquiry of the Month [DEC 2017]: Nativity Scenes: Heretical Distractions or Useful Symbols?

on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 pm
It was something that was probably better nipped in the bud centuries ago. But since we have been celebrating Christmas in December, it would be more distracting to try and change everyone's preconception at once. We should instead to raise up the next generation to fully understand the truth if the situation.
deepsky

Re: Inquiry of the Month [DEC 2017]: Nativity Scenes: Heretical Distractions or Useful Symbols?

on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:27 pm
I can see merit in all these views. With Satan in the world there is constant attempts to corrupt truth. Sharing the story the best we can understand it will help remove the fairy tale nature of the general/secular view, and replace it with a very plausible one that supports the veracity of the Bible.
J. Riley Corrigan
Admin

on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:58 pm
Thanks for weighing in guys, I liked both of your points. It is important not to cause a schism or anything, however it only makes sense to teach the next generation of Christians and our children everything we know and not just settle for the low hanging fruit.

That being said however I really like the nativity scene as a tool for teaching, as long as it is presented alongside teaching as a visual aide. As I understand it, the stained glass windows in the cathedrals were meant to provide visual aids to the people who did not have access to the text of the bible. If I ever find myself in a position to teach the gospel to someone who is illiterate or doesn't share a strong common language with me I think that the nativity scene would be indispensable.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum